My late father-in-law was darkly hilarious and reveled in giving toasts. The first joke of his standup routine was: “Of all the [fill in the occasions] I’ve been to, this is the most recent!”
I saw the perfect Father’s Day quote for dads through surrogacy and adoption, which rifted on my father-in-law’s salvo, and couldn’t resist adding a few more. Note these are for fathers with a dark sense of humor who are very secure about how they became parents:
- Of all my parents, you are definitely in my top two!
- “Just once on Father’s Day I wish my kids would give me a #1 Dad mug instead of one with my actual ranking.” Andy Borowitz
- You are just like a father to me. (Actual card given by one of our sons to my husband. I promise everybody laughed.)
- Becoming a father is easy enough, but being one can be very rough.
- Fathers are not born. Men grow into fathers – and fathering is a very important stage in their development.
- Any man can be a Father but it takes someone special to be a dad.
Wishing you a very Happy Father’s Day, no matter how you became a dad.